- HALF A TON OF CO2 is emitted for every ton of concrete produced. TWO TONS OF CO2 are emitted to manufacture a ton of steel.
- Wood products have less embodied carbon (which is carbon emitted to make a product during material harvesting, transportation, processing, etc.). One cubic meter of CLT wood sequesters over a ton of CO2. That carbon is kept out of the atmosphere for the lifetime of the structure and in some cases forever.
- Mass timber is green from the start. Sustainable forestry and logging operations produce less waste and are far less destructive to the environment than traditional material manufacturing processes.
- Most lifecycle analysis classifies wood supply as carbon-neutral.
- 11% of global greenhouse gas emissions come from construction. 28% come from building operations.
- A commercial building constructed with mass timber materials represents a 26% reduction in its global warming potential.